SEO (Search Engine Optimization) has been a hot and trending online marketing strategy for more than a decade now. Making an improvement to your websites to make it appear in the organic results is called Search Engine Optimization (SEO). The purpose of SEO is to achieve high rankings for your site in search results for visibility and to attract more clicks on and traffic to your site.
There are various factors that go into account as to how which ranks where. Before now, SEO-ers employed manipulative techniques to rank high in search engines without due consequences, and even more, companies started to adopt these, till when search engines discovered that their result pages were being skewed towards these companies and sites.
Owing to this discovery, search engines began incorporating algorithms for rating web pages and ranking sites, which as well as verifies the content, domain name and links provided on those sites.
As the algorithms were altered, some SEO-ers were deprived of their chances, while others found their way around it. That was the genesis of Black Hat SEO and White Hat SEO. The difference between them is the related techniques involved in improving site rankings in the search results pages.
Black Hat SEO:
This is the mischievous attempt to improve site ranking in search results which is not approved by search engines, in a deceptive fashion. Some techniques are the:
- Keyword Stuffing: this implies incessantly overusing words throughout your website.
- Link Hunting/Farming: promising that you will post a link to their website if they post a link to yours.
- Invisible Text: putting a list of keywords in white texts on a white background that is invisible to viewers but read by search engines.
- Duplicating Content: posting the same content in various places on your websites.
The penalty if caught will be a lower ranking, or you will be entirely banned.
White Hat SEO
This is the opposite of the former, which refers to the transparent practice of improving ranking, whose method is search ethics-compliant.
- Improving your content and integrate more keywords into content, which is recommended.
- Redesigning your website to improve user-experience and attractiveness.
- Researching and analyzing your audience, site usability, and site metrics which is very imperative.
- Rewriting Metadata to include and update the relevant information.
When harnessed and utilized properly, White Hat SEO will fetch you the ranking you crave, Follow the rules to be a ruler in search results pages.